We are seeking an experienced and highly skilled Principal Engineer to lead the construction and delivery of a cutting-edge hydrometallurgical pilot plant. As the Principal Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in overseeing the entire project lifecycle, ensuring the successful implementation of hydrometallurgical processes, as well as planning and overseeing the commissioning and operation of equipment and installations.
This position offers a unique opportunity to contribute to lead ground-breaking advancements in metallurgical recycling technologies and sustainable resource extraction from wastes.
What You’ll Do:
- Assume a leadership role in the planning, design, construction, and commissioning phases of the hydrometallurgical pilot plant.
- Provide technical direction and guidance to the project team, ensuring alignment with project goals and objectives.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including process engineers, metallurgists, and operations managers, to achieve project milestones.
- Oversee the testing, commissioning, development and optimization of hydrometallurgical processes to achieve optimal resource recovery and efficiency.
- Conduct detailed process analysis and troubleshooting to address any challenges during the pilot plant operation.
- Implement improvements based on findings and lessons learned to enhance overall plant performance.
Compliance and Safety:
- Ensure strict adherence to environmental, health, and safety regulations throughout the project lifecycle.
- Collaborate with regulatory authorities to obtain necessary permits and approvals for the pilot plant operation.
- Implement and enforce safety protocols to create a secure working environment for all project personnel.
Budget and Resource Management:
- Develop and manage project budgets, ensuring cost-effectiveness and efficient resource allocation.
- Work closely with procurement teams to source materials and equipment within budgetary constraints.
- Monitor and report on project expenditures, identifying cost-saving opportunities.
- Establish and enforce quality control measures to ensure the production of high-quality data and results from the pilot plant operation.
- Implement continuous improvement initiatives to enhance the overall quality of processes and outputs.
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, or a related field. Advanced degree (Master’s or Ph.D.) is highly desirable.
- Proven experience in the design, construction, and operation of hydrometallurgical plants, with a focus on pilot-scale facilities.
- In-depth knowledge of hydrometallurgical processes, process optimization, and pilot plant operations, including leaching, solvent extraction and crystallisation.
- Strong project management skills, including budgeting, scheduling, and resource management.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills. With the ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Familiar with relevant safety and environmental regulations, a strong approach to Health and Safety, characterised by a proactive commitment to prioritising the well-being of employees and visitors and an ability to foster that culture across the organisation.
- Strong technical knowledge and familiarity with the specific technologies, equipment, and machinery relevant hydrometallurgical processing.
- Ability to identify, assess and solve problems both individually and collaboratively.
- Effective communication and stakeholder management skills to ensure collaboration and alignment with key stakeholders.
- Experience in risk assessment, management, and mitigation strategies.
Altilium is a UK-based clean technology group supporting the transformation of the global energy sector from fossil-based to zero-carbon.
Our vision is for a circular and domestic EV battery supply chain, where the critical minerals powering the energy transition are safely recovered from recycling end-of-life EV batteries and mine tailings, saving natural resources and reducing mining.
We are developing the green processing technologies and building at-scale recycling infrastructure to decarbonise the automotive supply chain, providing the lowest carbon, most eco-friendly battery materials for a cleaner transport future.
This is your opportunity to be in at the beginning of the sixth wave industrial revolution, providing circular energy solutions to the UK and Europe as part of a global team.
We’re working to be an inclusive employer and we encourage people from all backgrounds, ways of thinking and working to apply. We love that everyone brings different perspectives and experiences.
We strive to eliminate any barriers that might prevent individuals from showcasing their skills and qualifications. If you require adjustments at any stage of the application process or to the role, please let us know and we’ll see how we can accommodate them.
This role requires a medical assessment to confirm fitness for work and the ability to fulfil job duties in a safe and efficient manner.
Job Type: Full-time
- Do you have proven experience in the design, construction, and operation of hydrometallurgical plants, with a focus on pilot scale facilities?
- Hydrometallurgical and Process optimization: 2 years (required)
- United Kingdom (preferred)
Ability to Commute:
Ability to Relocate:
- Plymouth: Relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person