As a Process Engineer responsible for overseeing the creation and operation of pilot scale hydrometallurgical recycling plants, you will play a crucial role in the development and optimisation of innovative methods to safely recover critical minerals from recycling end-of-life lithium-ion batteries.
This is a challenging and rewarding opportunity to contribute to sustainable practices in the lithium-ion battery industry. Your primary responsibility will be to design, plan and execute laboratory-scale experiments that can pave the way for large scale production.
What You’ll Do:
Research and Development:
- Conduct in-depth research on hydrometallurgical processes and emerging technologies to improve the efficiency of critical minerals recycling from old batteries.
- Develop equipment and process design for a solvent extraction lab tailored to EV battery recycling
- Plan and execute laboratory-scale experiments to evaluate the feasibility of proposed recycling methods and analyse the outcomes for process improvement.
- Collaborate with the research and development team to refine and optimize hydrometallurgical recycling processes at a larger, pilot-scale level.
Pilot Plant Operation:
- Oversee and manage the operation of pilot-scale hydrometallurgical recycling plants to validate the efficiency and scalability of critical mineral recovery processes
- Leverage insights from pilot plant trials to fine-tune and optimise processes for seamless integration into large-scale production.
- Facilitate the transfer of proven processes from pilot-scale to large-scale production, collaborating closely with research and development teams.
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Metallurgical or Materials Engineering, or a related field
- Proven experience in hydrometallurgical processes, ideally within the context of battery recycling or metal recovery from complex materials
- Familiarity with pilot plant operations, process scale-up, and industrialisation of chemical processes
- Knowledge of health, safety, and environmental regulations relevant to chemical processes and recycling facilities
- Commitment to sustainability and environmental stewardship.
Altilium is a UK-based clean technology group supporting the transformation of the global energy sector from fossil-based to zero-carbon.
Our vision is for a circular and domestic EV battery supply chain, where the critical minerals powering the energy transition are safely recovered from recycling end-of-life EV batteries and mine tailings, saving natural resources and reducing mining.
We are developing the green processing technologies and building at-scale recycling infrastructure to decarbonise the automotive supply chain, providing the lowest carbon, most eco-friendly battery materials for a cleaner transport future.
This is your opportunity to be in at the beginning of the sixth wave industrial revolution, providing circular energy solutions to the UK and Europe as part of a global team.
We’re working to be an inclusive employer and we encourage people from all backgrounds, ways of thinking and working to apply. We love that everyone brings different perspectives and experiences.
We strive to eliminate any barriers that might prevent individuals from showcasing their skills and qualifications. If you require adjustments at any stage of the application process or to the role, please let us know and we’ll see how we can accommodate them.
Education: Bachelor’s (required)
Experience: Hydrometallurgical processes: 1 year (required)
Application deadline: 30/11/2023