As a Hydrometallurgical Engineer working within the Mine Tailings Recycling Programme, your primary responsibility will be to design, optimise, and implement hydrometallurgical processes for the recovery of copper, rare earth and other high value minerals from mine tailings.
The aim of the program is to develop sustainable and environmentally friendly solutions for the extraction and recycling of valuable metals and minerals from waste materials generated by mining operations.
What You’ll Do:
Process Design & Optimisation:
- Develop hydrometallurgical process flowsheets for extracting copper and rare earth elements from mine tailings
- Optimise process parameters to achieve maximum recovery efficiency and minimise environmental impact
- Conduct laboratory and pilot-scale experiments to validate process designs and make necessary adjustments.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in hydrometallurgical technologies and methodologies
- Identify innovative techniques and emerging technologies that could enhance the recovery process.
- Coordinate and collaborate with a team of scientists, engineers, and researchers to achieve project goals
- Develop project timelines, budgets, and milestones to ensure timely progress.
Environmental & Safety Compliance:
- Ensure that all processes and operations comply with relevant environmental and safety regulations
- Implement safety protocols and risk assessments for laboratory and pilot-scale experiments.
Data Analysis & Reporting:
- Analyse experimental data to assess process performance and identify areas for improvement
- Prepare technical reports and presentations to communicate results to stakeholders and management.
Collaborations & Partnerships:
- Engage with external stakeholders, research institutions, and industry partners to explore collaborative opportunities and share knowledge.
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in Metallurgical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or a related field
- Master’s or Ph.D. is desirable
- Solid understanding of hydrometallurgical principles and processes
- Experience in mineral processing, extractive metallurgy, or related fields is highly desirable
- Knowledge of copper and rare earth element extraction processes is an advantage
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to think creatively to overcome technical challenges
- Excellent communication skills to collaborate with cross-functional teams and present findings effectively.
Altilium is a UK-based clean technology group supporting the transformation of the global energy sector from fossil-based to zero-carbon.
Our vision is for a circular and domestic EV battery supply chain, where the critical minerals powering the energy transition are safely recovered from recycling end-of-life EV batteries and mine tailings, saving natural resources and reducing mining.
We are developing the green processing technologies and building at-scale recycling infrastructure to decarbonise the automotive supply chain, providing the lowest carbon, most eco-friendly battery materials for a cleaner transport future.
This is your opportunity to be in at the beginning of the sixth wave industrial revolution, providing circular energy solutions to the UK and Europe as part of a global team.
We’re working to be an inclusive employer and we encourage people from all backgrounds, ways of thinking and working to apply. We love that everyone brings different perspectives and experiences.
We strive to eliminate any barriers that might prevent individuals from showcasing their skills and qualifications. If you require adjustments at any stage of the application process or to the role, please let us know and we’ll see how we can accommodate them.